Whether you’ve had the good fortune of taking a summer break, or, depending upon which hemisphere you reside in, escaping the winter chill, there is great merit in recreating that sun kissed summer feeling back home in your own kitchen. With all the fad diets out there and talk of achieving the ultimate summer body, it’s easy to forget the essence of food. Not only can lovingly made dishes nourish your soul from the inside out, but the fragrances and tastes have the power to activate our senses and transport us back to a place where our fondest memories abound.
Whenever we travel, food is a big part of the journey. Especially traveling with little ones, for matter of necessity, as well as for pure joy. Visiting local markets or finding the most wholesome, organic local fare leads to some of the most enriching experiences. And when we’re back home, with a sense of melancholy for all that we’ve left behind, jumping in the kitchen and reimaging the meals we shared is one of the most sure fire ways to keep the journey alive. After a little coaxing, my eldest daughter shared this soup with me and we ended up devouring not only our own, but my husband’s too. It’s a wonderful winter warmer with a tropical summer twist, hope you try it and love it xx
Tropical Carrot & Beet Soup
Recipe by Shelley Kamil
1.5kg organic carrots, chopped
1tbs Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 yellow onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1ltr organic veggie stock
1tsp ground ginger
Sprinkle of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1-2 oranges, peeled and sliced
1 Can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Handful of parsley roughly chopped to garnish
1. Heat the oven between 180- 2o0degrees. Wrap 1 large beetroot in silver foil and transfer to the oven. Cook for 25 minutes.
2. In the meantime, in a large saucepan over a low flame, heat 1tbs of Oil, sauté the garlic and onions until translucent and fragrant. Add the carrots and spices and continue to cook until the carrots have softened and are slightly golden. Around 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, careful not to burn.
3. Add the stock and Sea Salt to taste, cover and continue to cook on a low flame for approximately 20 minutes or until the carrots have completely softened.
4. Remove the Beetroot from the oven, carefully unwrap the solver foil and chop into small cubes. If you like, you can peel the beetroot, but I tend not to (it’s messy enough as is).
5. Once the soup has cooked fully, use a hand held blender to achieve a smooth consistency.
6. To serve, divide between serving bowls, top with several orange segments, plus a scattering of chopped beets & chickpeas, some parsley to garnish, plus a sprinkling of Sea Salt to taste.
A Health and Wellness Coach, passionate recipe developer and wellness writer, Shelley Kamil is a mother of two who works with clients to reach their optimal visions of health and wellness, creating healthy habits to last a lifetime. An ex-stylist and fashion boutique owner, Shelley’s life long love of healthy living grew into a career after studying Holistic Nutrition.
An avid reader, and having studied hundreds of dietary theories, she is forever discovering new research on the latest dietary trends. As a guide on the side, Shelley believes in tailoring nutrition to the individual and teaching clients to truly listen to their own bodies. With an unwavering belief that healthy eating should be joyful and achievable, Shelley introduces clients to a wide variety of fresh, wholesome recipes tailored to their dietary needs. Through individualised, nutritional and lifestyle steps she gently guides clients towards their ultimate Health and Wellness gaols. Helping clients with weight loss, increased energy and vitality, reducing stress and learning to thrive within the realms of dietary requirements.
Driven by her desire to share with the world just how delicious, easy and rewarding clean eating can be, Shelley develops nutrient dense, whole food recipes. Working with clients to establish lasting, healthy, sustainable patterns to continue long into their journey. Her ultimate belief is that when you nourish the body with real, fresh, whole food, it will naturally find it’s way back to its optimal form. Her goal is to see clients find their glow and become their most amazing selves, developing simple strategies to leave clients feeling radiant, well and better than ever.