Serves 4 as a side dish
- 2 large eggplant, halved
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tomatoes, chopped, seeds removed
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of ½ large lemon
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Scoop the flesh out of the eggplant, chop into cubes. Salt the flesh and set aside in a bowl. Set aside the empty eggplant halves.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft.
4. Add the garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, parsley, lemon zest, cinnamon and cumin, and fry
until the tomatoes are soft and the mixture is fragrant. Remove from the heat.
6. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and fry the eggplant flesh until golden. Remove from the heat and combine with the tomato mixture.
7. Place the eggplant halves in a baking dish, and fill with the tomato and eggplant mixure. Drizzle olive oil over the eggplant halves and season with salt and pepper.
8. Fill the baking dish with water, lemon juice and olive oil to about halfway up the eggplant halves.
9. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the aluminium foil and return to the oven until the eggplant is cooked through, approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
Steph is the founder of The Sugarfree Box, a business that promotes the benefits of giving up refined sugar, and aims to make living a low-sugar life as simple as possible. Working in a stressful corporate environment, Steph found herself bingeing on chocolates just to cope with the stress of each day. Realising that this was draining her energy levels, making her moody and damaging her health, Steph decided to make a change. The problem was that product labels were just so deceptive! And so The Sugarfree Box was born. Each season of the year, subscribers receive a beautifully packaged box, stuffed to the brim with refined sugar-free health foods that are genuinely nutritious. Not only do the products taste great, they make you feel great too! Find out more about The Sugarfree Box on their website (www.thesugarfreebox.com), or on Instagram (@thesugarfreebox).