It is with pleasure to have the delightful Gemma Pranita back with us on Your Zen Life talking all about her amazing new Photography eCourse that you guys are going to love! You may remember her Tez Talks with Teresa a little while back where they discussed all things fear based and the importance of pushing past the boundaries of your comfort zone (incase you missed it, you can watch it here). Since we last caught up with Gem, she has been working super dooper hard behind the scenes and pushing past her fears to create her amazing Photography 101 course… which is open for enrolment as of TODAY!! Gem is a total whiz behind the lens with an amazing eye for detail and a creative guru, she snapped Teresa when she was pregnant with Bodhi and the images are so incredibly beautiful. If there’s one person you want to learn photography from…this is your girl!! We sat down with Gemma to have a little chat about her love for photography as well as her experience with fear, and of course share all the juicy details of her course with you!
– How did your photography journey begin?
Sounds kinda crazy but I fell in love with photography at the lowest point in my life. I had hit rockbottom after having my life rug pulled unexpectedly from under me and my world fell into a shambolic mess. I remember feeling fearful of the future and utterly directionless. But with that came an overwhelming need to dilute my fears by busying myself with something, ANYTHING. And at that point in time, picking up a camera and taking photographs of my friends served as the perfect distraction. Little did I know that this new found hobby would soon turn into a hard core creative love affair and fully fledged career. I haven’t looked back since!
– What do you love most about photography?
Gosh, everything! The people I meet, the places I go. Photography has allowed me to see the world through a completely different lens literally and figuratively. I’m a collector of moments (not things) and I love how a photograph can transport me back to a specific memory and feeling in time.
– How did you come up with the idea to create a heart-centered photography course?
When I realised that photography is still very much a male dominated industry. I remember trawling the internet for camera tutorials and struggled to find a teacher I could connect with. If you google “photography course” you’ll be met with hundreds of websites that are slick and monochrome in design with an emphasis on the technical side of photography. So I made it my mission to create a colourful course bursting with feminine energy that takes you on a creative adventure as well as demystifying all the scary buttons and dials on a camera. It is my goal to make photography more accessible and fun for everyone. I want to help people push through their own learning blocks, alleviate any fears and unlock their creative potential.
– In a nutshell, what’s your philosophy on fear?
That fear is not something to be beaten but rather something to manage. We all have a mix tape of self deprecating fear-based thoughts playing in our heads. It’s about acknowledging them and promptly turning down the volume. When I find myself holding back on anything in life, I can almost guarantee it’s linked to fear. Fear is a little like worrying; it doesn’t take away tomorrow’s troubles, it only disrupts today’s peace. So in order to plug into your own courage and genius zone, acknowledge that you can hear the fear but make the choice everyday NOT to listen.
I made a huge internal mental shift. I made a deal with myself to stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start getting bloody excited about what could go right! Let your positive spirit sing out louder than fear and you’ll be amazed how quickly things will start falling into place.
– Why is it important to not let fear stop you from pursuing something?
Because fear is not who you truly are. You are a gift. You have so much to offer this world. If fear is holding you back from being the best version of yourself then you are robbing yourself and others of the opportunity to experience all the goodness you have to offer. Every single person in this world has the power to impact someone’s life in a positive way.
– Your top three tips for eliminating that fear-based voice in your head?
1. Create a morning routine that allows you to centre yourself, whether it’s a morning walk, yoga or meditation. A morning routine calms the mind and reduces internal chaos. This can all help with taming the fear beast!
2. Identify all the ways fear shows up. Sometimes fear can mask itself in other life limiting forms. For me, it’s perfectionism. I used to lean on my perfectionism as an excuse for not doing something. I used to tell myself that “if I can’t do it perfectly, why do it at all?”. But I soon realized that my perfectionism was just another disguise for fear. So now I’ve learnt to identify my perfectionism as fear, acknowledge it, gently turn down the volume and get on with my life.
3. I love a mantra! I love plastering quotes and mantras on my phone screen or desktop. I find it helpful as a reminder to keep on keeping on and never give up! My favourite quote at the moment is “Courage doesn’t mean you’re not afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you”.
– Advice to anyone looking to pick up photography because they love it, but technically feel they don’t have the skills?
Develop a hawk eye for detail. Next time you go out exploring, take notice of the little things and start looking at the world in 360. Look up, look down and all around. I have no doubt that something will grab your fresh eyes and you’ll want to snap it. And have patience. People throw in the towel with their cameras because they get overwhelmed with the technical side of photography. But it’s honestly a skill worth investing in because, even though camera technology progresses, the fundamentals of photography have not changed since it’s invention. So if you are willing to be patient and learn to use your camera properly, these are skills you’ll be able to carry on using for life!
I honestly can’t believe I’m finally birthing this course baby out into the world. It has been a year in the making. I have honestly poured the full weight of my heart into it! Not only am I excited to share all my photography secrets, trick and tips but I’m also excited about building a community of heart centered shutterbugs! My hope is that I will set people’s creative spirit ablaze and give them the tools to throw themselves back into the world as versatile, playful and confident photographers!
– Can you share all the juicy details and facts on how we can enroll and what the course has in store for us?
Absolutely! Enrollment is open for 3 weeks from August 22nd and the course commences Monday 12th September 2016. The course is an online program, so you can take part in it from anywhere in the world! The course is made up of 4 modules action-packed with video tutorials that will be delivered to you over 4 weeks (plus a cheeky free bonus module). For more juicy details and a peek inside the course (you can even sample the course for free too!) scoot on over to my website www.gemmapeanut.com.