Even though we have just celebrated Easter…with perhaps a little too much chocolate, let’s face it…is there every such a thing as too much chocolate?! The lovely and uber talented Jessica Sepel is back with us today, sharing another one of her deliciously decadent, but oh-so-clean dessert recipes in celebration of her new book and program – this chocolate bark recipe is directly from the book and a taster of the selection of recipes on offer! Find out more here. And now it’s over to Jess to find out how to make this beautiful bark which is a feast for the eyes as much as it is for the tastebuds…
This decadent bark is my favourite chocolatey thing to enjoy as a treat after dinner. And of course the great thing about bark is that you can break off a piece as little or as large as you like!
Prep Time: 50 minutes, including freezing
- 1⁄2 cup virgin organic coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon hulled tahini
- 3–4 tablespoons maple syrup, rice malt syrup, raw honey or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra
- for sprinkling (optional); a pinch of Celtic sea salt, 1/3 cup pistachio kernels, roughly chopped 1/3 cup dried figs, cut into small chunks
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cacao powder, tahini and sweetener of choice, whisking constantly to stop any lumps forming. Stir in the cinnamon and salt, then remove from the heat.
- Set the pan aside for about 5 minutes so the mixture cools slightly and begins to set.
- Pour the mixture evenly onto the baking paper – you want the bark to be about 5–8 mm thick.
- Scatter the pistachios and figs over the chocolate mixture and finish with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon if you wish.
- Cover with plastic film and put it in the freezer for 30–40 minutes or until set firm. You can then break it into irregular shards. For the best texture, enjoy it straight from the freezer.
This is one of the many beautiful, easy and delicious recipes from Jess’ second book, Living the Healthy Life – click here to order your copy.