How to choose between material and spiritual?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bellascorpion 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Bellascorpion
    Participant

Bonjour,
    Je suis française donc excusez pour mon anglais pas très bon mais je vais faire de mon mieux 🙂
    I am French so excuse for my English not very good but I will do my best!

Je suis très attirée par le spirituel, j’ai pratiqué le bouddhisme dans un temple pendant 5 ans ,suite au décès de mon frère, et depuis toujours je suis spirituelle, mais j’ai aussi un côté superficiel, j’achete trop de choses même si ces choses ne sont pas chères, et j’aimerai que la balance penche plus du côté spirituel et je ne sais pas comment faire avec cette dualité. Même si j’ai conscience de l’importance que cela a pouvez vous me guider pour faire une sorte de choix entre les deux car je souffre de me voir si attachée au matériel, je me rends compte que celà est exagéré

Merci par avance de votre réponse
    Bien à vous
    Christine

am very attracted by the spiritual, I practiced Buddhism in a temple for 5 years, following the death of my brother, and since always I am spiritual, but I also have a superficial side, I buy too many things Even if these things are not expensive, and I would like the balance to lean more on the spiritual side and I do not know how to do with this duality. Even though I am aware of the importance this has can you guide me to make a kind of choice between the two because I suffer from seeing myself so attached to the material, I realize that this is exaggerated

Thank you in advance for your answer
    Welcome
    Christine

Libby
    Participant

Hi Christine,

I hope that I understand your question correctly in my reply.

Two years ago I began to I moved toward a more minimalist lifestyle. Although I am not a religious person, I feel that it has helped me move closer to what some people refer to as “spirit”. It helped me to focus more on my goals and to have value in my day to day life. The hardest part about transiting to this new lifestyle wasn’t having lost these items in my house, it was the loss of being able to go out and shop for more. Using shopping as a self soothing method. As a social activity. Now I only go shopping when I am looking for something specific. This loss was an adjustment. Sometimes I want to go back to that lifestyle and have to talk about what is really going on inside me that has set off this old habit. The upside of a minimalist lifestyle has been that when I really want something, I can afford better quality items. I don’t have to settle for the cheap option. I surround myself with what I really think is beautiful.

Tez talked about their decluttering experience in one her Tez Talks. I would also recommend looking into The Minimalists- either their podcasts or film. There is also the Zen Habits website. I can recommend many more resources if you find these sites helpful.

Bellascorpion
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer! Indeed you have very well understood what I meant. This shopping is self-soothing. I will try to spend less because this really indicates a lack of something in me. Can you tell me how to make the transition without it being too abrupt

thank you still good day

Christine

Libby
    Participant

Hi Christine,

What helps me is to not go shopping unless I am looking for a very specific thing. That way I am not temping myself. I admit, sometimes I find something else as well on my quest for this new item, but I don’t go browse without something in mind.

What also helped me in the beginning was to force myself to get rid of an item for every new item I bring into the home. Sometimes I really have to force myself on that one. Before I purchased an item I had to look at it and say “Do you really want this enough to get rid of something else for it?”
    I don’t always do this as much anymore because we have cleared our house of clutter and ever 3-6 months go through the house and ask if there are things we are not using and do not bring us joy.

Check out Marie Kondo’s book ( I recommend listening to it on audiobook). Although not all the things in the book will work for you, you may find value in some of what she says).

Does anyone else have any ideas that worked for them?

Bellascorpion
    Participant

Merci beaucoup pour cette reponse! en effet si je dois me debarasser de quelquechose pour en acheter une ça peut etreun bon compromis qui me fera reflechir avant d’acheter 😉
    bonne journée
    christine

Thank you very much for this answer! In fact if I have to get rid of something to buy one it can be a good compromise that will make me think before buying 😉
    have a good day

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.