Let me tell you a secret: I love kale. My love for kale doesn’t come from its taste, but from its benefits. Kale supplies us with powerful antioxidants, boosts in Vitamin A & C, and as much iron as a serving of beef. Kale has been referred to as a “nutritional powerhouse,” and one of the world’s healthiest foods.
However, my boyfriend frequently reminds me that kale is not enjoyable; It’s known for its toughness and less than savory taste. This might be why, in the early days of my kale excitement, the greenery would sit limply on his dinner plate, untouched.
Spreading my love of kale meant creating a recipe that provided a happy medium for both my boyfriend and I. Considering he wasn’t likely to eat a full kale salad, I had to discover a way to mask the ingredient, or add a component that would ease the crunch. After conducting several kale-related experiments, the conclusion came in the form of a mixed salad that used avocado to obscure the presence of kale.
This recipe blends healthy fats, vitamin-enriched greens, and strong antioxidants to make a mouthwatering salad. Oh, and there’s barely any prep time! All you’ll need is about fifteen minutes of your day!
Ingredients Needed: (Serves 2-4)
2 cups chopped Kale
3 cups chopped Arugula Mix
1 Ripe Avocado
2 Cherry Tomatoes
¼ Onion (Sweet or White preferable)
1 tsp Virgin Olive Oil
½ tbsp Cayenne Pepper
Sea Salt & Lemon Pepper to taste
1. Strip 2 cups of kale leaves off stems.
2. Chop the kale leaves and arugula mix, and pour into bowl together.
3. Chop tomatoes into slices, and set aside.
4. Finely chop onion into small squares, and set aside.
5. Cut and dice your avocado.
6. Spend a few minutes massaging the avocado into the kale and arugula mix. The result should leave no visible avocado besides the creamy green on the leaves.
7. Add in 1 tsp on olive oil, ½ tbsp cayenne pepper, sea salt, and lemon pepper. Massage salad with hands to mix.
8. Add in the onion and tomato, and continue mixing until your liking.