Its usually around this time of year that the cold and flu symptoms begin to kick in and you are surrounded by people in the shopping queue blowing their nose or sneezing down your neck.
If you have been to your doctor’s surgery lately, you may have been offered the flu jab. And before you decide on whether to have it, you may want to find out exactly what is in it before you say yes.
Well I have done some research for you so you don’t have to; I’m talking chicken embryos, detergent, mercury and carcinogenic formaldehyde. Check out this entertaining video which sheds a little more light on it [insert http://pollynoble.com/2012/10/fancy-a-shot-whats-in-your-toxic-flu-jab/]
If you have a good diet and exercise regularly, you help to minimize your chances of being one those sickly people. But if you’re looking for ways to increase your immunity and better protect yourself from catching the flu, check out my 5 top tips on how to do this:
1. Load up on superfoods such as goji berries and blue green algae as well as nutrient-rich green veggies by juicing them or making an antioxidant-packed smoothie. (Here’s how to make the perfect green smoothie [insert http://pollynoble.com/2012/02/how-to-make-the-perfect-green-smoothie/]
2. Load up on Vitamin D as it is an essential nutrient that supports the immune system while some studies have shown it to be a flu fighter. It’s a little trickier in Winter to get your Vitamin D fix so I recommend taking a Vitamin D supplement daily.
3. Avoid dead foods. Processed, sugar and gluten-laden foods reduce your immunity and zap your body’s energy making you more susceptible to illness so keep these foods to a minimum or even better, cut them out completely!
4. Be sure to get some gentle exercise in the form of stretching, pilates or yoga as this helps to boost your immune system.
5. Rest up and get your daily fix of sleep. Try to get at least 7 hours of quality sleep. Turn off all electrical items, make sure you sleep in complete darkness and make sure you finish eating at least 3 hours before bedtime to aid restful sleep.
Have a warm and health filled winter!
Polly Noble is a health and wellness writer, author, juice junkie and two-time cancer survivor. Polly is passionate about helping others to live a healthy and happy life and uses her health and wellness website www.pollynoble.com to do so. She empowers others to take back the reins on their health and make small
changes everyday that can make a big difference.
Connect with Polly